We all from time to time experience a problematic behaviour. This typically means a certain set of ‘responses’ within a specific context. For example during public speaking, one may be engaged in an unhelpful conversation with oneself.
A new process for therapists and hypnotherapists to sublimate aspects ( seemingly competing psychological parts ), to working together to inspire and create more.
This is about psychological and behavioural parts sublimation. Where the parts together are greater than each other. Where individual strengths are valued and fully utilised within a greater frame.
Ideally in this example, of public speaking, it may be better to not be having that inner conversation and instead having your attention directed outwards with no internal chatter.
This kind of ‘problem’ can take the form of I want to do X but instead do Y. Where X is the desired behaviour and Y is contextually problematic.
- Establish the ‘I want to do X but do Y instead’ problematic behaviour.
- In chair 1, induce trance and develop honest unconscious signal.
- Deepen trance and gain unconscious agreement that the client will stay in trance while and as they move to another chair.
- Move to the other chair, chair 2.
- Gain unconscious agreement for a conscious amnesia for the problematic behaviour Y.
- With freedom, have the client practice the new behaviour many times, and ask for unconscious confirmation when this has been done in a way that meets values, ecology and wellbeing.
- Future pace this new behaviour X, so that after the 3rd, or 5th or 10th time this has happened in a good way, the client will recover the amnesia for the old problematic behaviour Y. Gain unconscious agreement for this.
- Invite the unconscious to create any useful conscious amnesia for this recovery until appropriate.
- Gain unconscious agreement for client to stay in trance while and as they move back to chair 1.
- Move back to chair 1.
- Invite the client to return to normal waking state. Let your client do this at their own pace. Once they are ‘back’ immediately begin talking about anything else as a conscious distraction on the work you have just completed.
I have created this process researching Milton Erickson’ works on amnesia, ideas from Steven Gilligan and the New Code NLP explicit unconscious ‘yes’ at each process step from 2-11.
The idea is very much not about parts integration, as in adding up to make a merged whole. It’s parts sublimation. Sublimation to me means ‘parts’ without boundaries. Where the parts are valued individually and the sublimation is more than the parts as in 1+1 makes three or more.
Feel very free to use, adapt and tinker in any ways you wish.